Phd survival during a pandemic


Endless problem with administrative work sets by who knows.. 
Theres title approval form to be filled. Examiners' nomination, intention to submit, ermm and what else? I'm navigating in the dark. I don't even know if I'm doing the right thing. 
Pandemic closes down all campuses. Emailed administrative people and it might take some time to get a reply, unless you cc your SV. But I'm not yet thinking of exploiting that chance when all I wanted to know now is the process and all the forms I should be filling in. Website doesn't help. Click on the link and not found. 
Luckily I had few friends to ask around. Had some ideas where to begin. Might contact another friend, he's submitting too, faced the same problem as mine. 
My SV was burning up this afternoon on Meet, when they said that SV had to fill up everything?? I said I haven't a clue. Glad they said it's not our fault. It's the system. 
And they said administrative people replied to emails. Of course they did. A friend already told me the secret sauce to cc your SV. Now they asked why don't you? I said I'm afraid they might be busy, she is handling everyone's submission. SV complaint I was too kind. I should cc them next time. I will Prof. 
They complaint about having to fill up Examiners nomination manually, and it take hours, and had to do it twice!. Poor them! I don't know how to response. And while talking on the phone, we were laughing. They said I'm glad that you're laughing, it's not funny, but yeah. 

They said how pitiful the students are. Waiting and clueless. Students are always left clueless. Because we're easy target. Young and powerless. In need of guidance. Our future's in the hands of these administrative and lecturers. That's all we have to survive. Be kind and nice to both parties, you'll likely thrive. If you're nasty to one, you'll still survive, but you won't thrive. Well, I may not even be looking to thrive now. I only want to survive honestly. Surviving phd in this pandemic could be equal to surviving covid. You either die on course or you survive catching your breath again.

TGM
28.6.2021

0 comments: